Sunday 6 January 2013

Sunday Zine Review #63: Agua Pura


It's been a while since I last posted an illustration zine review, but when Kathleen Itch messaged me about Agua Pura and told me the story behind it, I knew there was a place for it on my blog.

Kathleen works as a paramedic in the north of England and last September she decided to take a month off to work as a volunteer at the US/Mexico border. The pages of Agua Pura illustrate this month providing humanitarian aid to people crossing the desert.

It's been quite shocking to read about Kathleen's experience and finding out more about all these people walking for weeks with no food or water for a minimal chance of crossing the border. Being from Spain, I'm familiar with the challenges African immigrants have to deal with to try to get into my country but didn't know that much about the North American situation.

I love the way Kathleen writes about this month, mixing sad moments with some funny and life-changing instants. The drawings recreate her experience in the border and are a vital part to understand what Kathleen went through.

This zine might be slightly different to what I usually post in here but I definitely recommend getting a copy to learn more about the situation in the US/Mexico border. If you're interested, you can contact Kathleen at agua.pura.zine@gmail.com

*You can check all the previous reviews here. If you want to get your zine reviewed, leave a comment below or drop me a message to igortermenon@gmail.com*

No comments: